The Royal Albert Dock is based in Liverpool, England. Designed by Jesse Hartley and Philip Hardwick, the dock and the warehouse buildings were opened in 1846. It was known simply as the Albert Dock until 2018, when it was granted a royal charter and had the honorific "Royal" added to its name. At the time of its construction, the dock was revolutionary in its design because ships were loaded and unloaded directly from or to the warehouses. Today the Royal Albert Dock is a major tourist attraction in the city and is a vital component of Liverpool's UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.